[chuck-users] keyboard fail

Michael Heuer heuermh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 11:09:14 EST 2015

On an MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with El Capitan version
10.11.1 the internal keyboard works ok for me with chuck built from git head

$ chuck --version

chuck version: 1.3.5.2-beta-1 (chimera)
   mac os x : intel : 64-bit
   http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/
   http://chuck.stanford.edu/

$ chuck --loop
[chuck](VM): sporking incoming shred: 1 (kb.ck)...
keyboard ' Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad ' ready
1# 30
2# 31
3# 32
4# 33
5# 34
q# 20
w# 26
e# 8
r# 21
t# 23
y# 28
# 224
# 6
^C[chuck]: cleaning up...

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Bob Bob <estecorreoesdebobi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Tried keyboard input on Yosemite, same model only difference is that my
> laptop has 15" and it worked just fine.
>
> Enviado desde mi iPad
>
> El 31/10/2015, a las 10:22 a.m., David Loberg Code <
> d.loberg.code at wmich.edu> escribió:
>
> Spencer and Bob,
>   The problem is not exclusively an El Capitan issue. It was already
> happening in Yosemite before she upgraded.
>   We have tried other device numbers. If it is a correct device number, it
> will open the keyboard but not receive data. If it is an incorrect device
> number, it gives the 'couldn’t open' response.  (As I indicated, we also
> tried connecting an external USB keyboard.)
>
> davd
>

> *Fra: *Bob Bob <estecorreoesdebobi at gmail.com>
> *Emne: **Re: [chuck-users] keyboard fail*
> *Dato: *31. oktober 2015 01:10:39 GMT-4
> *Til: *ChucK Users Mailing List <chuck-users at lists.cs.princeton.edu>
>

> I've hesitated to update to el capitan because a lot of people have been
> having issues.
> I also have the latest MacBook pro but 15" and everything works so far.

>> Hi David,
>>
>> I will test this on my end also but some times an OS version update will
>> introduce "ghost" HID's, especially keyboards or trackpads, that can be
>> opened but do not generate data. This has happened a few times before. The
>> way to check is to change the kbNum and see if using a different number (1,
>> 2, 3, etc.) produce data. You only need to try this until you see "couldn't
>> open keyboard #" for whichever number after 0, which means you've exhausted
>> the list of things ChucK thinks is a keyboard.
>>
>> Otherwise this could be a new issue specific to El Capitan :(
>>
>> spencer
>>

>> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 11:16 AM, David Loberg Code <
>> d.loberg.code at wmich.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a student with a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13", early-2015). She was
>>> on Yosemite with latest ChucK build; now on El Capitan with the ChucK beta
>>> build (1.3.5.2 beta).  The same problem happened in both builds.
>>>
>>> She can open the keyboard with Hid. It will successfully pull the
>>> kb.name and print it.
>>> However, it won’t detect any other activity from the keyboard.
>>> It gets stopped at kb=>now; and won’t go any further. We have tried an
>>> external USB keyboard too, and it produces the same problem.
>>>
>>> Anyone else have this happen OR have a cure?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> davd
>>>
>>> David Loberg Code
>>> Western Michigan University
>>> code at wmich.edu
>>>

>>> Hid kb;
>>> HidMsg kbMsg;
>>> 0 => int kbNum;
>>> kb.openKeyboard( kbNum ) => int kbAvailable;