[chuck-users] writing to fifo from chuck

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 24 14:15:41 EDT 2015

Hi Forrest,

If you're only using one fifo and you're not using chuck's stdout for other
purposes, you can redirect it to the fifo and communicate that way, e.g.

chuck file.ck > myfifo.fifo

ChucK's diagnostics go to stderr, as does <<< >>> printing, so only stuff
you write to chout will go to the fifo.

spencer

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 5:29 AM, Forrest Curo <treegestalt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Basically, to use OSC protocol I end up needing a finicky listening
> routine in the csound program, with all sorts of complications about
> starting & stopping notes from the messages... while the -L command line
> option lets me feed lines directly through the operating system into the
> score, with csound handling the subsequent timing automatically. So it
> depends what you mean by 'easier.'
>
> Chuck does seems like a pretty heavy-duty program to use as a midi-timer;
> last night I worked out a short python script that seems to do the job; but
> chuck -- if it had the right file-handling capabilities -- is more
> specifically designed for coordinating a musical process, and might work
> better. I dunno.
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Casper Schipper <
> casper.schipper at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Forrest,
>>
>> Maybe a naive question: but is there any reason you don’t want to use OSC
>> protocol for communicating between ChucK and CSound ? I think that’s the
>> easier route.
>>
>> Best,
>> Casper
>>

>> > On Sep 24, 2015, at 02:25, Forrest Curo <treegestalt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Something I've been doing from pd: writing a line (or more) of text to
>> a fifo and letting csound read that in as score lines.
>> >
>> > Trying the same from chuck -- I find that I can write text to a normal
>> file. When I send the same text to a fifo, nothing happens. If I don't
>> close the fifo chuck merely freezes; if I do close it at the end of each
>> line, chuck continues to receive midi notes but csound doesn't get anything
>> from the other end.
>> >
>> > Do I need to open the fifo in 'WRITE_ONLY mode"? Will try now.
>> >
>> > Other thoughts?

Spencer Salazar
Doctoral Candidate
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford University

spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
+1 831.277.4654
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/