[chuck-users] Manual for Version 1.3 (?)

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Fri Oct 14 13:44:22 EDT 2016

Hi,

Yes, the manual is not very well maintained right now- I think most of its
content is still relevant to the language now, but small bits like how to
install are a little different. Other, more up-to-date resources for
learning include the language reference [1], which is not just a dry
reference as the name would suggest, but a mix of a walkthrough and
reference, and our free online video-based course [2], which is based on
what we teach at California Institute of the Arts. The examples are a great
resource (included when you install ChucK; go to File->Open Example in
miniAudicle). Graham Coleman's "Notes on ChucK for Music" is also a good
tutorial [3] and Perry's ChucKU has a lot of learning resources centralized
in one place [4]. If you want to go a little deeper, the ChucK book [5]
costs money but has a few free sample chapters.

The individual who generously created and maintained the ChucK manual
stepped down some time ago. Producing and maintaining high-quality
documentation is a big job, and with all of the other resources available,
the ChucK manual has not been the top priority. That being said we would
welcome pull requests to ensure the manual is up-to-date, relevant, and
useful (and actually there have been a few such PRs recently).

In the last year we've been developing a number of major updates to the
language and ecosystem. I have been working on miniAudicle for iPad, a
tablet-oriented coding environment for ChucK, which is going into beta
testing very soon, and a number of individuals have recently contributed to
our growing collection of chugins [7]--its worth checking out the new ones
for ChucK coders who are looking for new stuff to play with. Small but
impactful bits like more informative exceptions have been developed (and
are coming to a release soon).

spencer

[1] http://chuck.stanford.edu/doc/language/
[2]
https://www.kadenze.com/courses/introduction-to-programming-for-musicians-and-digital-artists/info
[3] http://www.dtic.upf.edu/~gcoleman/chuck/tutorial/tutorial.html
[4] https://www.cs.princeton.edu/~prc/ChucKU/
[5]
https://www.manning.com/books/programming-for-musicians-and-digital-artists
[6] https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/mini-ipad/
[7] https://github.com/ccrma/chugins

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 12:05 PM, <Blixa2 at gmx.net> wrote:

> Is there a specific reason, why the manual is only available for Version
> 1.2 (chuck.cs.princeton.edu/release/files/chuck_manual.pdf) and even this
> one is hidden and not directly accessible, neither from
> chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/ nor chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/learn/ .
>
> The first impression that I get from this is, that developers have lost
> their interest in ChucK. Do you think this impression is true?

Spencer Salazar
Doctoral Candidate
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford University

spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
+1 831.277.4654
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/