[chuck-users] anybody still use this thing?

Spencer Salazar spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 7 20:44:42 EDT 2016

I dont think you can use regex to match a whole expression like that but
you can use it to pick off bits and pieces. Just make a regex that matches
all of the possible commands + options and run that through, advancing the
string position each time. Eg

"o4l8cdefg" => string code;
string matches[0];
"((o)([0-9]+)|([abcdefg])(1|2|4|8|16)?|(l)([0-9]+))" => string pattern;

for(0 => int i; i < code.length(); )
{
    if(RegEx.match(pattern, code.substring(i), matches))
    {
        if(matches[2] == "o")
            <<< "octave:", matches[3] >>>;
        else if(matches[4] == "a")
            <<< "a" >>>;
        // etc.

        matches[0].length() +=> i;
    }
    else
    {
        <<< "invalid code" >>>;
        break;

I dont know anything about MML so I dont know what the final regex would
look like.

Another option is to just go through the string iteratively and look at
each character one at a time. If whitespace is undesirable StringTokenizer
might be hurting more than helping here.

for(0 => int i; i < code.length(); )
{
    int c = code.charAt(i);
    if(c == 'o')
    {
         // look for number
    }
    else if(c == 'a' || c == 'b' || ... )
    {
         // see if number follows

spencer

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Colton Hill <colton-hill2014 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I also want to make sure I have a customizable play function that will
> handle my playing. Here's the code I've been using for my current mml
> parser in chuck, actually does take a code string and a play function,
> and operates well. Only issue is including doesn't work... So have a test.
>

> On 9/6/2016 3:33 AM, Hans Åberg wrote:
> >> On 5 Sep 2016, at 23:16, Colton Hill <colton-hill2014 at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I know regular expressions syntax, but I really don't know how I would
> >> manage to make an mml parser that actually works. Turn o4l8cdefg into
> >> octave 4, length 8, and c d e f g notes with an 8th note length since no
> >> length is specified. Then there's c4., which is c4^c8... Just bla…
> > There are free MML parsers in C out there. Linking to ChucK, which is
> written in C++, might be a way.

Spencer Salazar
Doctoral Candidate
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics
Stanford University

spencer at ccrma.stanford.edu
+1 831.277.4654
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/