[chuck-users] phase modulation and hard sync?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 14:31:38 EDT 2017

> Alexandre,
>
> As far as I understand it, the .sync attribute is more like an identifier,
> rather than a true numeric value (that is, 0 says you are syncing frequency
> with frequency; 1 says that you are syncing phase with frequency; 2 says
> you are doing true Frequency Modulation). As you are telling that no value
> means no sound, one can infer that there is no default value for that, and
> if you are feeding UGen => UGen, telling which is your sync method is
> mandatory (but I can be mistaken, as usual).

there may be a default parameter, right? And that seems to be 0. If I have
sync at "0", I hear no sound.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like the sync parameter is able to do hard sync. It
seemed that the "0" value would do that, but, as I said, I hear nothing.

If phase input is linear in chuck, then the code from SuperCollider would
be equivalent, but it is not. And even if it wasn't linear, I tried it with
radian values and did not get the same results.

I suspect it is not really doing phase modulation because it doesn't matter
if I change the carrier frequency, and that is weird.

well, I guess I'm repeating myself, sorry, just anxious in the hope of
clarification.

thanks