[chuck-users] phase modulation and hard sync?

Joel Matthys jwmatthys at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 23:53:37 EDT 2017

> there may be a default parameter, right? And that seems to be 0. If I
> have sync at "0", I hear no sound.

I think "sync" is a poor keyword for this method. It has nothing to do
with hard sync. Instead, it determines what to do with a UGen connected
to its input.

This:
SinOsc a => SinOsc b => dac;
0 => b.sync; // the default

results in no audio because ChucK is attempting to use the output of
SinOsc a (which is of course a stream between -1 and 1) and using those
values as the frequency parameter for SinOsc b. In other words, SinOsc b
is playing at a frequency between -1 and 1.

Here's a demonstration of how sync 0 can work:

Phasor p => SinOsc b => dac;
1 => p.freq;
1000 => p.gain;
0.25 => b.gain;
4::second => now;

> Anyway, it doesn't seem like the sync parameter is able to do hard
> sync. It seemed that the "0" value would do that, but, as I said, I
> hear nothing.

I think you're right; to do hard sync you have to manually check the
Phasor and reset the oscillator phase. BTW, according to the source
code, the .phase method ranges from [0-1).

Phasor p => blackhole;
SinOsc s => dac;
0.2 => s.gain;
440 => s.freq;