[chuck-users] phase modulation and hard sync?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 02:22:43 EDT 2017

> On 06/04/2017 12:35 AM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
>

> It seems that when you have a phase input to SinOsc, it'll only consider
> that input and disregard any frequency input, is that possible?
>
> Yes, that is correct. IIRC, doesn't cyclone have some oscillators that
> work that way as well?

The only oscillator with a phase input in cyclone (or max) is cycle~

it has a frequency input in the left inlet and a phase input in the right
inlet.

But sending a phase signal to drive cycle~ does not anule the phase input
at all! And this is what I'm suspecting it's happening in Chuck, and what
you seem to be confirming to me.

Phasor p => SinOsc osc => dac;

440 => p.freq;

// 440 => osc.freq;

1 => osc.sync;

4::second => now;

In the above code, I have a Phasor driving the oscillator, and the same
result as if I had a SinOsc with the same frequency as the Phasor's
frequency...

Now, if I uncomment the line "// 440 => osc.freq;", nothing changes! As if
the frequency input is anuled or something.

Going back to cycle~, the two input are valid, and the result is that the
output frequency is 880 hz (the sum of both inputs).

Now, that makes phase modulation extremely trivial and simple with cycle~

I know I'm close to doing it in Chuck, If uncommenting that line in the
code did work, I'd be done with it, but I'm stuck...

Is it really impossible to set both a frequency value and a phase input
from another Unit Generator?

If not, then adding a signal to the Phasor output has got to do the job.
But how can you do that?

cheers