[chuck-users] phase modulation and hard sync?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 11:00:57 EDT 2017

> Alexandre,
>
> I have translated a PD patch (see the last graph on this page
> <http://pd-tutorial.com/english/ch03s06.html>) and it is modulating AND
> responding to frequency changes.

cool, but we're not in fact using a frequency input here. It's more having
a carrier phase signal plus a modulating signal. Just saying it cause I
still would like a definitive word on an oscillator being able to set both
frequency and phase. I'm really curious about it now.

Moreover, this code seems a little more complicated than I expected.
There's gotta be an easier way.

The thing with the Pd patch is that Pd Vanilla's [osc~] does not have a
phase input, so it is not using the input on an oscillator in order to
modulate its phase, but a cosine function - [cos~]. It'd be much simpler if
you used an external like [cycle~]. If you used the right inlet of [cycle~]
instead of [cos~], you'd get the same result.

Since SinOsc in chuck has a phase input, you do not need to use a cosine
function like the Pd patch, but just sum the phasor and the oscillator and
then feed it to the phase input (sync = 1).

That oughta simplify things a lot.

Even more simple would be if SinOsc could take a frequency input and also
accept a signal to modulate it's phase input. Then you wouldn't need a
phasor as the carrier signal, just a frequency value. But that is out of
question, huh?

cheers