[chuck-users] Experiences running Chuck on ARM computers?

Pietari Seppänen pietari.seppanen at pohjoinen.net
Wed Feb 28 09:55:56 EST 2018

Hi! I'm having a lot of trouble running Chuck on my Orange Pi Zero. I'm
hoping to make a little hardware looper on one of these tiny and cheap
single board computers. Does anyone have any success stories for running
Chuck on ARM computers?

I know the LoopPi2 project uses Raspberry Pi 3, but I'd prefer a single
board computer I could use without an external sound card. My Orange Pi
Zero effort was tiny and cheap, if it only worked... I don't know what the
problem is, because it's quite beefy despite its size, a lot quicker than
the original Raspberry Pi and that runs Chuck. Maybe the problem lies in
the audio codec, but it seems to play and record files just fine.

Here's my original post on electro-music forum:
"PostPosted: Yesterday, at 2:00 am    Post subject: Anyone running Chuck
on Orange Pi?	Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post  Mark this post and
the followings unread
Hi! I'm trying to copy the functionality of LoopPi2
(https://github.com/szymonkaliski/LoopPI2) on Orange Pi Zero. The
advantage of OPi Zero is that it is very inexpensive and has an audio
codec built-in, which makes it even less expensive. I have the audio side
of things working ok on both the recording side and the playback side,
however all Chuck scripts work very slowly. The computer has a 1.2 GHz
processor and 512 megabytes of memory, which is not much but today's
standards, but you would think it's enough for some audio work.

Observations:
1. Setting the rate to 8000 helps some, but it's still choppy.
2. At least looking at 'top', Chuck doesn't ever use more than half of the
CPU. There's nothing else on that would use it, I don't even have a
graphical UI of any kind.

I'm using Armbian Debian Jessie with kernel 3.4.113 because I had some
trouble with MIDI on the mainline kernel. I compiled Chuck myself from the
1.4 sources. I don't know if I missed some optimization step.

Chuck runs on the original Raspberry Pi, which is a lot less powerful and
otherwise quite similar, so I don't understand where the trouble comes
from. "

Regards,

Pietari Seppänen