[chuck-users] static strings and the future

JP Yepez jpyepezimc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 21:53:30 EST 2018

Hello all,

I can't say much about the development part itself, but in my experience
I've noticed that ChucK is still being used widely at an academic level. I
understand it's being used in a few universities that include creative
technology programs and computer orchestra courses in their curriculums,
including CalArts, Stanford, and VUW (New Zealand). Like Mario mentioned,
it is a core part of a few Kadenze courses; I've been involved as a
producer/teaching assistant in a couple of them and it seems like it's a
popular language among students who are just learning how to code, and
musicians who would like to develop more advanced projects. Also, ChucK
Racks popped up a couple of months ago, which was pretty exciting. So yeah,
I think there's quite a bit going on, but it certainly would be nice to
have a more active community (I'm hoping to contribute, and hopefully I'll
get to it before too long).

About the *static strings* issue, I think they're kind of in a shady spot.
Like Gonzalo mentioned, you can't have static non-primitives in your code,
but there is a workaround to this by declaring objects as a reference and
then initializing them outside of the class. However, if you try to do this
with strings, it will tell you that they're a primitive type and it throws
an error. The best hack I've found for this is through arrays (even if the
size of the array is 1 in many cases). Here's an example:

public class Container {

    static string staticString[];

    public static void init() {

        new string[1] @=> staticString;

        "Hello World" @=> staticString[0];

    }

    public static void print(){

        <<< staticString[0] >>>;

Container.init();

Container.print();

You don't really need an init() function, and you can initialize the array
on the actual script, but I usually end up with much larger classes, which
is why I like to keep things clean.
Hope this helps!

Best,

JP

*JP Yepez*
New Media Artist - Musician - Researcher
Website:  http://www.jpyepez.com/
Email:      jpyepezimc at gmail.com
<https://www.instagram.com/jpyepez/> <https://twitter.com/jpyepezmusic>
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/jp-yepez-063928123/>