[chuck-users] chugins will not load/compile using 1.4.0.0 on windows10

Spencer Salazar spencer.salazar at gmail.com
Fri May 25 14:20:42 EDT 2018

Compilation of Chugins on Windows has not been pretty. Right now the system
is designed so to allow a complete build from command line using some
version of the VS compiler and msbuild, but as I recall this entails an
elaborate and brittle setup of environment variables and $PATH
configuration. Any recommendations/pull requests for getting the system to
work a little more nicely would be welcome. Updating the build tools
version sounds like a good start.

When I have a moment I will look into this myself (I don't have a permanent
Windows set up), but Im also optimistic about Jack's workaround above.

Spencer

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Jack Atherton <lja at ccrma.stanford.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Sorry to hear you went down that rabbit hole. I believe the intended
> action is to retarget the solution to whatever is on your machine for
> building the Chugins.
>
> I've just set up my own Windows machine within the last few days, and
> installed miniAudicle this morning. What I am seeing when I start the VM
> with log level = info is that miniAudicle is only looking in C:\Program
> Files\ChucK\chugins\ for the location of chugins, instead of looking in all
> the folders of the miniAudicle chugins preferences pane window. This is an
> old bug that I think we fixed at some point, but maybe the official
> installer didn't get updated yet. The installer actually installs the
> chugins at C:\Program Files (x86)\ChucK\chugins\ if you choose the default
> install location, so the temporary fix is to make a new folder C:\Program
> Files\ChucK\chugins\ and copy all of the chugins over into there.
>
> If you set the ChucK>Log Level>Info in the menu bar before starting the
> VM, you should be able to see a printout of where it is scanning for
> chugins and which ones it loads successfully in the console window. When I
> did this on my new laptop, I was able to get it to load all the provided
> chugins, and run a script using one of them without syntax errors.
>
> Again, sorry for the hassle. Let me know if this works.
>
> Best,
> Jack
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 7:26 PM, Ben Sandvik <bpsandvik at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That kind of makes sense because when I have 1.3.5.2 installed there is a
>> chugins folder created that has a bunch of .CHUG files dated 10/21/2015.
>> These all work in 1.3.5.2.  However, I cant install or use any of the newer
>> chugins in 1.3.5.2 on Win10 and when upgrading to 1.4.0.0 none of them work.
>>
>> I have also tried to compile the chugins from the github repo as you
>> suggested, so far no luck and it has sent me down quite the rabbit hole
>> trying to find the right combination of Visual Studio versions, build
>> tools, SDKs, Windows 2010 compilers, etc. etc.  I am now stuck on build
>> errors that I just cant figure out.
>> The main issue with compiling the chugins in chuck 1.4.0.0 on Windows 10
>> seems to be the use of the v100 build tools in the makefile for each
>> chugin. I think I have installed every v100 related build tool on the
>> internet :)
>>

>> running 'make win32' from mingw64 results in the following errors for the
>> ABSaturator (the first chugin in the makefile) and stops compiling:
>> "Build FAILED.
>> "C:\Users\Ben\chugins\ABSaturator\ABSaturator.vcxproj" (default target)
>> (1) ->
>> (PrepareForBuild target) -> C:\Program Files
>> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(297,5):
>> warning MSB8003: Could not find WindowsSDKDir variable from the registry.
>> TargetFrameworkVersion or PlatformToolset may be set to an invalid version
> [...]

Spencer Salazar, PhD
Special Faculty
Music Technology: Interaction, Intelligence, and Design
California Institute of the Arts

ssalazar at calarts.edu | +1 831.277.4654
https://spencersalazar.com