[chuck-users] ChucK scripting language for Audio/MIDI testing

mario buoninfante mario.buoninfante at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 15:02:35 EST 2018

Hi,

Has anyone ever used ChucK for audio/MIDI testing?

I personally used it in more than a couple of occasions, and I found it
really useful. Nowadays, also for audio and MIDI, Python is pretty much
the standard language for testing. Actually it is quite powerful,
especially considering the number of libraries available, but despite
its versatility and easy of use, I found it a bit annoying for
audio/MIDI testing. It seems to me that languages like ChucK and Pure
Data are better candidates for this kind of job.

I've been using Pd for testing for almost 2 years now (from regression
to semi-automated tests), and I'm really happy with it. No need to
configure anything more than the essential, pretty stable and reliable,
multi-platform, etc.

Then, recently I started doing the same with ChucK, that of course has
some advantages being a "text-based" language rather than a graphical
one. In the specific I've been using it to talk with a CLI via Serial
(hardware testing). Perfect, stable, reliable, the possibility to easily
manage events... in short, brilliant! I think it would be perfect for
test automation as well!

The only missing thing is a full MIDI implementation (I know, I said
that something like 5 billions times here on the mailing list, and I'm
sorry I'm being "a bit" boring). But, SysEx messages are crucial
nowadays. A lot of gears use it for basically everything from data
transmission (patches, bootloader/firmware updates, etc.) to parameters
control (from DX7 till the most recent Korg Volca series), plus internal
functionalities. I think this is the real bottleneck at the moment, and
I hope one day it will get "fixed".

Anyway, I'm saying this for 2 reasons.

First, I'd like to get some feedback from you guys and see if anyone
else has been doing similar things.

Second, I think start using ChucK for audio/MIDI testing could be really
good for ChucK itself and its community. I don't know, maybe that's just
me thinking about stupid things, but I suppose if people (and when I say
people I also mean companies) start using ChucK for work reason, the
amount of support increases as well. There will be more users for sure,
that means more beta testing, and probably more support in developing it
as well.

cheers,

Mario

--
Electronic Musician, Creative Coder, QA Engineer
https://vimeo.com/creativecodingsalerno