[chuck-users] I wrote a book!

Ge Wang ge at ccrma.stanford.edu
Tue Sep 4 15:00:26 EDT 2018

Friends, ChucKians, artful designers, lend me your ears!

For the past three years, and thanks to a Guggenheim Fellowship, I have
been quietly working on a new book about design and technology, art and
life. The book -- ARTFUL DESIGN: TECHNOLOGY IN SEARCH OF THE SUBLIME
(A MUSICOMIC MANIFESTO) -- explores design as the intersection of art,
engineering, and philosophy. It breaks down computer-mediated
instruments, tools, games, and social experiences in everyday life,
and elaborates 100+ tacit principles of artful design.

It's all in there: ChucK, laptop orchestras, Ocarina, video games,
wacky computer music interfaces, audiovisual design, and a whole lot
more. Published by Stanford University Press, ARTFUL DESIGN was created
entirely in the medium of a (full-color, 488-page) photo comic. This is
a book for anyone who has ever been curious about how we shape
technology, and how technology shapes us.

It's nerdy. It's philosophical. It's a core dump of my brain in comic
form. And it's coming out next week.

See for yourself:
    https://artful.design/

The chapters:
    https://artful.design/chapters.html

Pre-order the book now, and it will be at your doorstep next week!
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1503600521/
    https://artful.design/buy.html

Do you know anyone else who might be interested in this book? Please
share this with them!

Keep on ChucKin’ -- and I'll see you in the book!

Ge!

~~~
Ge Wang
Associate Professor
Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA)
Department of Music (also Computer Science, by Courtesy)
Stanford University
https://www.gewang.com/
~
Co-founder, Smule