[chuck-users] Expanding MIDI support

mario buoninfante mario.buoninfante at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 17:29:30 EDT 2019

just found out on Linux I cannot send anything that's not 3 bytes!

No Program Change, no Aftertouch, no Real Time.

I can receive them (real-time included), but I cannot send them since I
get this error:

[chuck](via RtMidi): RtMidiOut::sendMessage: event parsing error!

Cheers,

Mario

On 02/07/2019 22:15, Michael Heuer wrote:
> Great, thanks!  I'll start a new thread asking how best to use it!
>
>    michael
>

>> On Jul 2, 2019, at 3:53 PM, Mario Buoninfante
>> <mario.buoninfante at gmail.com <mailto:mario.buoninfante at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Nice :)
>> MIDI clock works fine now (ChucK 1.4.0.0). There's a flag you can use
>> to activate it that I don't remember whether is ON or OFF by default,
>> but anyway is there.
>> Like I said there's a flag for SysEx as well, but that doesn't seem
>> to do much.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mario
>>
>> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 at 21:43, Michael Heuer <heuermh at gmail.com
>> <mailto:heuermh at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I'd say go for it! It would be nice to have proper SysEx and MIDI
>>     clock support in ChucK.
>>
>>     I recall there was some progress on the latter; did I read
>>     somewhere that clock messages are available via RtMidi but simply
>>     disabled in ChucK for performance reasons?
>>
>>        michael
>>

>>     > On Jul 2, 2019, at 3:23 PM, Mario Buoninfante
>>     <mario.buoninfante at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:mario.buoninfante at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>     >
>>     > Hi everybody,
>>     >
>>     > One month ago I got started with an Open Source project whose
>>     goal is to support some hardware on various
>>     platforms/environments/programming languages (Pd, SC, Processing,
>>     Lua, Python, JS, etc.) and of course my goal is to have ChucK on
>>     board as well (hopefully I'll share more info about the project
>>     in the next months).
>>     > The only issue I've got at the moment is that I need to talk
>>     SysEx with these gears, and as you know ChucK doesn't deal with
>>     SysEx.
>>     > I really care a lot about this project, mainly because it's
>>     open source and because will involve different communities (Pd,
>>     SC, JS, etc.) and would really love to include ChucK in this
>>     since is the tool I'm mainly using to experiment and make music
>>     and I truly believe has got something more than other
>>     languages/environments.
>>     > Thus, since I'm not a C++ person, I decided I'll ask a
>>     colleague of mine (a C++ programmer) to help out with this, also
>>     because he'll get involved in the project for other reasons anyway.
>>     > But before doing this I wanted to ask the developers and all
>>     those who are involved in maintaining ChucK, if there's any
>>     particular reason why SysEx messages are not currently supported.
>>     > From what I can see in the code (and after running few
>>     experiments) with the current architecture SysEx messages could
>>     be sent out (3 bytes at time though) but with a lot of
>>     limitations (didn't manage to receive SysEx messages though).
>>     > Also, I think RtMidi doesn't gate us from doing that (there's
>>     just a flag used to 'turn on/off' SysEx communication).
>>     > But it seems like there's nothing in place that allows to deal
> [...]

Electronic Musician, Creative Coder, QA Engineer
https://vimeo.com/creativecodingsalerno
http://mbuoninfante.tumblr.com/
https://github.com/mariobuoninfante
https://bitbucket.org/mariobuoninfante/