[chuck-users] Oscillosope UI

Mario Buoninfante mario.buoninfante at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 09:48:25 EDT 2020

Hi,

Recently I've been poking around with Chugins and created a couple of
things I thought were 'missing' in the official ChucK and Chugin repos,
UGens like Wrap, Clip, Sample and Hold, etc. (
https://github.com/mariobuoninfante/ChucK_chugins), and I was thinking
about adding an oscilloscope as well.
Recently I also put together a clunky class that allows you to plot things
using gnuplot, but it's an offline thing, then you need to use Std.system()
(that means using --caution-to-the-wind), I mean it's not ideal to be
honest, especially if you're looking for an oscilloscope.
I was wondering, would a Chugin be the right thing to work on to create an
oscilloscope?
I never dealt with UIs before, so I could be saying something completely
naive here, but I was thinking about having a Chugin you can connect UGens
to then display their waveform.
Then have methods that allow to change the oscilloscope settings (ie x-axis
and y-axis resolution, etc.).
Does anybody have any experience with this kind of things? Chugins with UIs?
Is it even sensible?

Cheers,
Mario