[chuck-users] memory usage

Mario Buoninfante mario.buoninfante at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 06:00:51 EDT 2020

Hi,

I was trying to better understand how ChucK deals with memory management.
I know there's no garbage collector in place and I also checked on the
mailing list, where I found several really interesting conversations about
this topic.
But still, I've got this scenario where the memory in use keeps growing.:
>From terminal I launch:
chuck --loop
then I run several times:
chuck + gc_empty.ck
every time I wait that this ends first.
gc_empty.ck contains just 1 line:
1::second => now;

at the same time I'm monitoring chuck using top (on MacOS High Sierra
10.13.1) and I get the following values for MEMORY:

as soon as I launch ChucK: 9008K
1st time I run "gc_empty.ck": 9108K
2nd time I run "gc_empty.ck": 9112K
3rd time I run "gc_empty.ck": 9196K

Why is ChucK using more and more memory?
Sorry if this is maybe a silly question.

Cheers,
Mario