[chuck-users] chuck hoarding the soundcard

Geoff Little g.little712 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 22:47:18 EDT 2020

Hi chuck-users,

Not sure if this mailing list is still in use but I've signed up for the
chuck course on kadenze and am having issues after installing chuck.

I'm on Debian bullseye which is the current (as of April 2020) testing
release.  I've git clone'd the chuck repo and make'd and make install'd.  I
tried both `make linux-pulse` and `make linux-alsa`.  My version of chuck
is 1.4.0.1.  I'm able to run ck files through `chuck` and hear output as
expected, for example

echo "
SinOsc s => dac;
0.6 => s.gain;
220 => s.freq;
1::second => now;
" | chuck /dev/fd/0

plays the expected sound and exits cleanly.  However, if I'm watching a
tutorial video on kadenze or youtube (in firefox if that matters), I get
unexpected results when I run the above command.  I see

[chuck]: RtApiAlsa::getDeviceInfo: snd_pcm_open error for device (hw:0,0),
Device or resource busy.

Similarly if I run `speaker-test`--while this is running and making noise,
`chuck` spits out the same resource busy error.  However, if I run
`speaker-test` and play a youtube video, it works as expected, the
speaker-test noise and youtube noise mix and play at the same time.
Interestingly, if I run `chuck` with nothing else and get the expected
sound and soon after start `speaker-test`, `speaker-test` will wait / not
start until `chuck` exists, suggesting that chuck somehow "hoards" the
soundcard so that other sound-producing apps can't get access and mix-in.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?  I believe (I'm not 100% sure
as I'm not very familiar with sound hardware and software) I have both alsa
and pulseaudio?  This is why I tried make'ing with both.  I'm not sure how
they interact.

Thanks and hope everyone is staying safe and home,
Geoff