[chuck-users] Classes to effectively use FluidSynth microtonally in ChucK

Forrest Cahoon forrest.cahoon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 00:23:35 EST 2020

Some time ago, I extended the FluidSynth chugin with hooks into
libfluidsynth's tuning API.

Once I started working with some more sophisticated soundfonts (such as
those at https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/) I found a problem: it
turns out that, the way libfluidsynth tuning works, the sample for the
assigned-to note number is retuned to the pitch to which it is assigned,
instead of using a sample which meant to be close to the desired pitch.

So I wrote a set of ChucK classes so that I could just specify the note I
want and let ChucK decide which MIDI note number to assign it to. If this
is possibly of interest to you, check out my code at
https://github.com/forrcaho/ChucK-code/tree/master/fluidsynth .