[chuck-users] Machine.add() and me.yield()

Spencer Salazar spencer.salazar at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 20:11:15 EDT 2020

Hey Mike,

Check out the "chunks" parameter of SndBuf:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/ckdoc/ugen.html#SndBuf

This was added a little later and was designed to avoid the huge hit of
fixed-sized chunks, on-demand. You can play with it a bit but something
like 2048 or 4096 is probably a good starting point. (Lower than that will
likely provide incremental performance gain; you can go as high as you want
up until you start getting crackling again.) As long as you dont try to
access the whole file immediately (e.g. for normalization or other offline
processing) it should do the trick for your use case. There may be other
limitations but Im not able to recall them off the top of my head.

Btw, me.yield doesn't allow for sound to process, for that you would
actually want to pass time in between the audio file loads, at least one
buffer size's worth of samples. me.yield is chiefly a way to tell the
shreduler to run other shreds without a progression of audio time.

Spencer