[chuck-users] Efficient analysis & resynthesis for game audio

S. Elliot Perez s.elliot.perez at gmail.com
Fri May 1 08:01:01 EDT 2020

Hello!

I've been using Pure Data and the Heavy compiler (hvcc) to make procedural
audio for games/interactive media pieces the last couple of years. I just
started going through the videos of the Kadenze course. The first couple of
lessons, I did what Mr. Cook was doing in his ChucK software using Pure
Data... but then I got to Session 3 where he showcases a method of
resynthesis using two scripts- one to analyze a sound file and output a
list of peaks (frequency and amplitude), and one to perform the
resynthesis. I was very impressed with how quickly this goes as you can
just copy and paste the list from the 1st list into the 2nd one and you
already have a working model which you can then begin to tweak. With Pure
Data, this would be an exponentially more arduous process of manually
looking at a spectral analysis, filling out boxes, connecting them with
wires, copying & pasting for each frequency...

I'm curious as to what the possibilities of integrating these ChucK
algorithms into standard programming languages like C++/C# for use in game
engines. On the download page of ChuCK it says that the newest versions are
made to be embedded in other systems. Is there documentation detailing this
somewhere?

--

*S・エリオット・ペレスwww.selliotp.com <http://www.selliotp.com>*Sound Designer for
* enenインタラクティブサウンドディザイン*