[chuck-users] MidiFileIn class

Spencer Salazar spencer.salazar at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 20:59:08 EDT 2020

Hi David,

Aside from documentation you can find here:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~spencer/ckdoc/io.html#MidiFileIn

there is an example of usage included with chuck:
https://github.com/ccrma/chuck/blob/main/examples/midi/playmidi.ck

In essence, MidiFileIn gives you an ordered list of timestamped MIDI
messages (class MidiMsg documented on that same page). ChucK doesn't do
much to interpret the messages other than give you the 1-3 bytes in the
message, but there are many resources online for how to interpret these,
such as:
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/cmsip/readings/davids-midi-spec.htm

Ive seen some ChucK classes floating around that help out with interpreting
different MIDI message types (noteOn/off, control change, etc.) from the
1-3 byte messages though I haven't used these myself.

Spencer