[chuck-users] ChucKDesigner released!

David Braun braun at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Dec 23 19:30:57 EST 2021

This is the licensing information for TouchDesigner:
https://docs.derivative.ca/Licensing There is an educational license, and
there is also a non-commercial option. I personally think that the priced
options are fair. Suppose you bought it today. The current version of
TouchDesigner would run on your computer forever, and you are able to
upgrade to any new version for the next 365 days. After 365 days, you can’t
upgrade, but whatever version you have before then will continue to work.
This has many advantages over a monthly subscription service (prices can
increase, hidden fees), or revenue sharing (App Store, Unity, Unreal), but
also some disadvantages (no mass marketplace “App Store” equivalent).

Your concern about relying on closed source software is valid, but it’s
always a tradeoff. Sometimes closed software is actually well supported and
worth the price. TouchDesigner has already been around 20+ years too. If
you have more questions about things more related to TouchDesigner than
ChucKDesigner or ChucK I would be happy to answer them privately.

Best,

David