[chuck-users] MidiIn/MidiMsg expansion

Mario Buoninfante mario.buoninfante at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 11:56:09 EST 2021

Hi all,

As you know I was trying to add sysex support to ChucK, and there are some
progress there.
I managed to let sysex msg through, and I can get the first 3 bytes using
the data1, data2 and data3 member variables (MidiMsg).
But of course sysex messages can have any length, so I was trying to find a
way to return an array containing the received sysex.
It's easy enough to internally store the sysex message received (ie
tweaking the MIDI callback and MidiIn and increasing the array used to
store incoming MIDI msg), but then when it's time to retrieve this array,
well I'm a bit lost tbh.

MidiMsg in midiio_rtmidi.cpp appears to be a union, and this makes things a
bit trickier since I was thinking about having a member method that returns
the sysex array (ie similar to SerialIO.getytes()).

Does anyone have any idea about the best way to proceed here?
Any help is really appreciated :)

cheers,
Mario