[chuck] Audicle

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Aug 9 04:43:57 EDT 2004

> I wonder how you display the six-sided cube on a screen or do you use
> 6 screens for performances?

The idea is to be able to fully engage one face at a time, but you can
move to other
faces at will.

> Are 3D interfaces (on 2D screens) expedient for computer music? (i'm a
> little bit sceptical)

Some of the face will be 2D, others 3D, and also there is the
tabula-rasa face where the
user can display anything (2D or 3D).  3D can be effective for a lot of
things, but can be
bad if everything was conformed to be in 3D.  Hopefully having both the
3D and the 2D
will be an effective combination.  We shall all soon see.

> Did I understand it correctly, that there is one dsp-server that
> renders  the audio in a networked setup with several people/computers?
> does this mean that one can bog down the dsp-server with a resource
> hungry patch?

The simplest setup is the one-server/listener, in which case
misbehaving code can
hang the server.  However, the model can include a conductor (using the
on-the-fly
programming / code as instrument idea), who can remove/fix bad shreds,
and also the musicians/ChucKists can learn to play well together, which
would also fit this model.
Multi-server setup will also be possible, though we still haven't
worked out the timing
semantics.

Best,
Ge!