[chuck] Developing chuck

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sun Oct 17 14:59:28 EDT 2004

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> I'm playing with chuck 1.1.5.2 on Linux-based Pentium 4 and dual-Opteron
> systems. First of all, chuck is fascinating and entertaining.
>
> Please accept the following comments as an offer of assistance for
> improving chuck:
>
> 1) The current build system is very simple, but also very
> non-traditional and inflexible for a Unix environment. An autoconf build
> might be more effective, along the lines of
>
> 	../configure --sound=alsa --prefix=/usr/local/bin
> 	make
> 	make install

this is a very good idea - we wanted to do this but haven't gotten around
to it.  if you want to contribute to this that would rock.

> 2) Chuck is sometimes balky (e.g., it can't find the sound card) on my
> Pentium 4, but it works fine most of the time. On my AMD64, I get the
> same segmentation fault mentioned by Mark Constable.

let's figure this out on chuck-dev.

> 3) During a build with -Wall -pedantic, I see quite a few warnings,
> ranging from portability problems to casting problems.

Ah, good idea!

> Are any of these issues something you are interested in having someone
> such as myself take a look at?

Yes!

> If so, what is the best procedure for providing patches to chuck?

we roll in patches into CVS/release.

> Is the developer's mailing list working? I haven't seen any messages
> therein.

it's working, and it's about to be used.

Thank you Scott for the constructive suggestions!  We accept all.

Best,
Ge!