[chuck] libsndfile error

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Oct 19 14:55:07 EDT 2004

> any idea what's wrong with my chuck build?
>
> oli1:/opt/cvs/chuck-1.1.5.2/examples# ../chuck otf_07.ck
>
> *** Fatal error : sizeof (off_t) != sizeof (sf_count_t)
> *** This means that libsndfile was not configured correctly.

We have also experienced this on some linux systems (if you
get this on OS X or Windows, please let us know).  It is due to
some conflicts between different systems data types in configuring
libsndfile.  We want ChucK to compile out of the box, so we
include modified versions of libsndfile , which works great for
OS X and Windows, but have some problems with linux.

If you get this error, the easiest (and probably the correct thing)
to do is to compile and link with a libsndfile configured for your
system.  We have included a switch in the makefile to make that
straightforward.

1. install libsndfile - http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

     > ./configure
     > make
     > make install

2. edit the version of the makefile for your system, for example:

     in makefile.alsa, go to the section that starts with:

------
# by default, ChucK uses a pre-configured libsndfile...
# uncomment the next 3 lines to use libsndfile on your system
------

     and uncomment the next 3 lines:

FLAGS+= -D__CK_SNDFILE_NATIVE__
LIBS+= -lsndfile
SF_OBJ=

3. make clean and re-build.

Please let us know if that works on your system.  Again, OS X
and windows should need this.  We are working on a better
solution for linux.

Best,
Ge!