[chuck] problem starting audio on linux

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Sep 13 14:47:13 EDT 2004

On Sep 11, 2004, at 9:04 PM, Matthew Shanley wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm on a fresh linux box, and when I compile chuck 1.1.4.8 for either
> alsa or jack, it compiles fine but when I go to run it I get:
> $ ./chuck -l
> RtApi: no devices found for given stream parameters.
> [chuck]: cannot initialize audio device (try using --silent/-s)

I don't think the audio interface code has been updated anytime
recently.  several things to try:

1) try different sample rate:

     > chuck --srate48000 -l
     or
     > chuck --srate44100 -l

2) make sure ALSA is running, the best way (I know of) is just to
restart:

     (as root)
     > /etc/init.d/alsasound restart

     and make sure the levels are set right
     > alsamixer

3) if the above no work, there could be another incompatibility that we
should track down.

What linux are you running?

Best,
Ge!