[chuck] generative program, audio problems when sporking

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Apr 27 21:33:16 EDT 2005

Hi Matthew,

Looking through the code, I think ChucK's 'sndbuf' is the source of
the audio problems.  For now, the sndbuf tries to load the entire file
into memory - bad!!! - we need to fix this soon.  The file I/O is most
likely causing havoc, especially if the files are large.  It has been on
our schedule to allow many readers to the same sndbuf, but this
requires the new object framework so it isn't done yet.  Also, we will
add more objects as we are deeper into 1.2, that will allow preloading
and other file I/O features.

For now, If possible, sndbuf's should load files at the beginning of
chuck
time.  But this looks difficult since the program might like to allocate
sndbuf's at each recursive call/spork.  Perhaps it is possible to work
out some scheme to share a group of global sndbufs?  Meanwhile we
will continue to find a better solution to this problem.

Best,
Ge!