[chuck] Re: Re: Audicle presentation award / video (oliver oli)

Philip Davidson philipd at alumni.princeton.edu
Mon Feb 7 15:21:27 EST 2005

Audicle doesn't in itself increase the capabilities of the ChucK
language -
it's analogous to xCode or Visual Studio, with some customization
towards
coding for audio, and tools for  quick feedback on the state of the VM.
However, the command line interface is fully functional, provides
much of the same feedback as Audicle, and can be used with any text
editor
Some videos of early chuck show off some serious command-line / pico /
emacs / vi madness.

We welcome any suggestions to make chuck's command-line output more
accessible for screen-reading

but back to Audicle -

Audicle's interface ( including text editor, etc ) is built entirely in
C++ using OpenGL for
cross-platform compatability.  As yet there would be no default
screen-reading support,
nor does it use standardized GUI elements ( at least, we haven't
written them ).  If there
is a standard API that we can work with, that might be an option.  With
respect to
magnification of the interface - the windowing system is flexible
enough to allow for
variation and customization ( enlarged fonts, widgets, etc ) in its
current incarnation,
although it isn't properly exposed yet.

The conversation here has given me more thought toward design concerns
in this type of system,
since the Audicle attempts to combine single-user ( generally hi-res )
interaction and a multi-user ( lo-res )
presentation to an audience.  If it's not apparent that an on-the-fly
coding environment running
off your laptop isn't an e-mail program, you aren't connecting with the
audience any more than
you were before ( probably less so )

we'll hopefully have more to work with once Chuck emerges from its
current re-write cocoon, and
the Audicle is released into the wild

Phil