[chuck] status report

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Feb 18 17:12:43 EST 2005

Dear All,

chuck-1.2 is on the way.

(but this email will reach you before it does.)

As you may (or may not) be wondering: it is now February, where is
ChucK-1.2?  We have pushed back the release (again), this time to March.
However, this _will_ be the final delay.  We have been busy writing papers
(one of them, ironically, is about implementing ChucK) in the last month
or so, trying to meet submission deadlines (3 of which fell within the
same week).  We are on the last spin cycle of paper writing, and can
return to full-time development on 1.2 in 2 weeks.  You may be
wondering: how can we guarantee a March release?  Answer: we release what
we have at the end of March, even if some things are not yet done.

As for the actual status of the new release:

---
done:
- 90% code/testing the new type system, which supports arrays (both
integer and associative), defining new objects, environments/contexts for
organizing the namespace, new operators (+=>, *=>, ^=>), object
references, many small fixes.
- 50% code/testing the emitter and new virtual machine bytecodes.  Not
too much code needs to be written for supporting arrays/objects - heavy
testing is very much needed.
- various fixes in all parts of the system

todo:
- the other 10/50% of system
- function overloading
- more powerful library import mechansim
- more powerful unit generator import mechanism
- a very basic class library
- stereo/multichannel support
- testing testing
- documentation for new features

in progress:
- Adam Tindale is putting together (gasp) comprehensive documentation
- Ajay Kapur has been investigating using ChucK for real-time controllers
- Phil is researching more graphics-related Audicle/gluck ideas
- Folks at Stacken have been working on auto-conf (now waiting for us to
  hand over new release)
- Gary Williams is working on tutorials in the beginning chuck blog
- Chris Turner is working on matching client/server messages for better
  on-the-fly programming feedback
- Perry, Ananya, and I are writing paper and code for v2
- (any other development effort I missed?)

release dates:
---
v1.2 release: late March
doc overhaul release: April
audicle release: summer
gluck release: summer

In conclusion, we apologize for the delay and thank you for your
(incredible) patience.

Best,
The ChucK team

PS: This remind me of a previous post from almost a year ago, I have
included it below: