[chuck] A new ChucK blog -- Beginning ChucK

Mikael Johansson mikael at johanssons.org
Fri Jan 21 03:24:59 EST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Gary Williams wrote:
> Thanks for the comments, Ge, I've changed the blog description to one
> professor (Perry Cook) and students.
>
> I'd be glad to publish anyone's material -- you can send it to me directly
> at  gwms at corninglink.com
> or post it to the list or on the wiki (I think I've got most of the likely
> pages on my watchlist, but you might send me a heads-up note if you'd like
> it posted on b-chuck). Anyone who's interested to be co-bloggers, just let
> me know and I'll send you a blogger-invite.
>
> I'm currently working on a piece using Mikael  Johansson's scales.ck to
> provide a full 5 octave scale-note function -- I've seen Mikael's comment
> about using std.mtof(float) to convert MIDI note values to frequencies, but
> I haven't learned MIDI yet so I don't know what MIDI notes look like...so I
> ll do a simple note to frequency converter using made-up integer note
> value-reps.

http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/table2.html

Basically, number 60 is middle C, denoted as C4. The number steps one step
for each halftone. So you get which of the tones in the scale by
calculating notenumber%12, and which octave by integer division by 12.

> --Gary
> ----
> Chess:            http://chessnut.net/
> Homepage:     http://garywilliams.org/
> Blog:              http://tfs_reluctant.blogspot.com/
> ChucK Blog:  http://b-chuck.blogspot.com/
> Resume:         http://garywilliams.org/resume.htm
> Store:             http://www.cafeshops.com/tfsreluctant/
> Phone:           (607) 775-0408
> Permanent email: gwms at corninglink.com

Mikael Johansson                 | To see the world in a grain of sand
mikael at johanssons.org            |  And heaven in a wild flower
http://www.mikael.johanssons.org | To hold infinity in the palm of your hand