[chuck] new user here with some questions

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Wed Jul 27 15:14:30 EDT 2005

Hi,

i'm a german nerd/musician and i'm plaing with chuck atm. I succesfully
compiled the latest release for jack support. But it seems chuck has
some RT issues.

running the mand-o-matic example i get a cpu load of about 2-3% but
xruns nonetheless. I run jackd at a buffer size of 256 frames atm (which
is plenty huge for my standards. i.e. i use 16 or 32 frames to apply
realtime effects to my guitar via jack-rack - completely xrun free. This
is a nicely tuned realtime preemption system with a delta 66).

I heard there's a 1.2 version in cvs. Does it have this kind of problem
also?

BTW: i get quite a few clicks/pops on moving windows/etc. even w/o

RtApiJack: audio overrun/underrun reported!

and xruns. But there's quite a few of these, too.

Inspecting

~$ ps -C chuck -cmL
  PID   LWP CLS PRI TTY          TIME CMD
23421     - -     - pts/6    00:00:07 chuck
    - 23421 TS   24 -        00:00:04 -
    - 23422 FF  109 -        00:00:02 -

it seems to my uneducated eye, that chuck has two threads. One running
SCHED_FIFO (probably the jack process() thread) and another SCHED_OTHER
thread. Maybe the RT thread often waits for the SCHED_OTHER thread which
gets starved by other cpu activity (like moving windows, etc)

If this is a RTFM! issue i will be happy to accept pointers.

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/