[chuck] Bus Error - Trying to run ChucK for the first time

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sun Mar 13 03:27:49 EST 2005

> "In most cases" is exactly the problem.  So ChucK isn't going to fail
> and ruin my live performance.. in most cases?  Great! :)

Good point - except that is not what I meant by "in most cases".  The
callback is designed in a way such that it always favors the synthesis
thread to compute apart from the callback thread.  But even if the
callback
thread has to wait (a reasonable amount), which it doesn't "in most
cases", it does not interfere with real-time audio.  When the processor
is maxed, bad things will happen to real-time audio no matter what
system you are running.  The guarantee in ChucK is that the computations
and audio synthesis will still be correct, though potentially late.

I am going to save the other points for chuck-dev.  We are totally open
to changes if it makes ChucK more reliable - but there are reasons for
doing things as they are.  (I know that may seem shocking!)

Best,
Ge!