[chuck] New guy, and questions

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Tue Mar 22 17:52:21 EST 2005

From: paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net
Subject: [chuck] New guy, and questions
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:31:06 +0000

> All,

Paul,

So you finally come over here too! ;O)

>   Now I can see I can use a sine oscillator, square it and this will give me the
> bell curve, only problem here is that I get two 'bell curves' for the price of
> one cycle, which brings me neatly onto my next problem..

Notice that squaring the sine gives you a DC-shifted sine of double frequency.

> What I need to do is to change the amplitude and/or pitch of each 'pulse' at the
> zero crossing, great I can use Zerox, but, how do I then change the value?
>
>  I had though of feeding the output of Zerox into a 'sequencer' which controls
> the pitch and amplitude of the sine oscillator, but I can't see a 'sequencer'
> type of module..

As always in chuck, if it ain't there, you program it!
Straigh chuck-code will do.

>  So, There are two questions firstly, Is there a sequencer module planned?
> and secondly, if not, how can I get round this? can I use the output of Zerox to
> increase a counter and use an 'if' statement to change the values of the sine
> oscillator? will the use of multiple 'if' statements be quick enough?

I've been pondering over doing a generalized sequencer. However, the feature
that I lack is the ability to have a number of control-values that I either
control manually or have control signals fiddeling around with. I want to
unplugg things and hook things up independently with the execution of that
sproc. Some work has been going on to investigate that over here, but I don't
know what has happend in 1.2 in relation to that.

The modulars/Synthi-A sense of plugging and unplugging/rerouting signals as
they go on is powerfull and how one works in real life. On the Synthi-A one
naturally "plays" by just briefly patch in one of the patch-pins into the
matrix. Infact, just having that patchability in graphics would be cool, but
I'd guess the OpenGL interface is doomed to do that work, no?

Cheers,
Magnus