[chuck] version 1.2.0.3 released

Graham Percival gpermus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:05:26 EDT 2005

On 21-Oct-05, at 1:20 AM, Ge Wang wrote:

> Once again, we have made some small (but potentially critical)
> language and API changes (very sorry).  The experimental 'loop'
> keyword has been renamed to 'repeat', std.abs() now deals with int
> (instead of float) and std.fabs() uses floats.

I'm not complaining, but if you plan to change the API for every
release, it may be good to have a "convert-ck" program that makes these
changes (or warns you if it can't).

This is modeled on "convert-ly", which updates lilypond files -- for
the past few years, the lilypond syntax has been quite unstable.
convert-ly does global search and replaces on old lilypond files.

For example, for the 1.2.0.3 release, a "convert-ck" program would
change every instance of "loop" to "repeat", and prints a warning that
"std.abs()" has been split into ".abs" and ".fabs" and may cause
problems.  (since it would be difficult if not impossible to determine
if .abs should change to .fabs with regex)

If there's sufficient interest, I could take a first stab at making
this.  I don't know if it's worth it, though -- how often will the APIs
be changing?  How much of a problem is it for users?  It might be
better to wait until chuck is a bit more stable (say, a 2.0 or 3.0
release) before introducing this kind of program.

Cheers,
- Graham