[chuck] summer workshop: composing + coding for laptop ensemble

Ge Wang gewang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Feb 8 00:06:04 EST 2007

Greetings!

This will be a blast => see below.  Hope to see you there!
Please spam this to others that might be interested.

Best,
Ge!

P.S. chuck-1.2.0.8 is on its way with many fun and destructive new
toys...

-----
Stanford | CCRMA Summer Workshop:
Composing and Coding for Laptop Ensemble (CCL)
2 weeks
July 23 - August 3, 2007
Dan Trueman and Ge Wang, with Perry Cook

Emphasizing hands-on approaches, this workshop will address the
challenges of making music in laptop ensembles. At the core of the
workshop will be a set of meta-instruments (laptops with 6-channel
hemispherical speakers, associated audio gear, sensors, and
controllers) from the Princeton Laptop Orchestra (PLOrk, see
http://plork.cs.princeton.edu/). Together, we will act as performers,
researchers, composers, and software developers, focusing our attention
on instrument design, composition, and music making with these
instruments. The challenges are many: what kinds of sounds can we
create? how can we physically control these sounds? how do we compose
with these sounds? There are also social questions with musical and
technical ramifications: how do we organize ourselves in this context?
with a conductor? via a wireless network? And so on.

Morning sessions will focus primarily on instrument design,
composition, and coding issues using the languages ChucK and Max/MSP.
Experience with these languages, or programming languages in general,
is not required but will be beneficial; depending on the makeup of the
group, we may at times divide into smaller groups to teach
experience-appropriate skills as needed. We will look at how various
composers and engineers have addressed the challenges posed by laptop
ensembles and brainstorm new approaches. Afternoon sessions will
emphasize music-making of already existing pieces and new pieces
created by workshop members. Graduates of both the PID and DSP
workshops may find this a useful workshop for applying what they have
learned.

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/workshops/2007/
http://plork.cs.princeton.edu/
http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/