[iw] Fwd: REMINDER: thesis/independent work support, spring 2011

Colleen E. Kenny-McGinley ckenny at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Feb 16 09:42:01 EST 2011

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Peter I. Bogucki" <bogucki at Princeton.EDU>
To: "BSE Class of 2011 (bse-seniors at princeton.edu)" <bse-seniors at Princeton.EDU>, "BSE Class of 2012 (bse-juniors at princeton.edu)" <bse-juniors at Princeton.EDU>
Cc: "Alain L. Kornhauser" <alaink at Princeton.EDU>, "Lynn Loo" <lloo at Princeton.EDU>, "Mike Littman" <mlittman at Princeton.EDU>, "Cynthia L. Menkes" <cmenkes at Princeton.EDU>, "Jo Ann Kropilak-Love" <jolove at Princeton.EDU>, "Julie L. Gerek-Sefa" <jsefa at Princeton.EDU>, "Kimberly I. Lupinacci" <klupinac at Princeton.EDU>, "Tiffany J. Sirois" <tsirois at Princeton.EDU>, "Pablo Debenedetti" <pdebene at Princeton.EDU>, "Sharad Malik" <SHARAD at EE.princeton.edu>, "James A Smith" <jsmith at Princeton.EDU>, "Tara M. Zigler" <tzigler at Princeton.EDU>, "David Walker" <dpw at CS.Princeton.EDU>, "Colleen E. Kenny-McGinley" <ckenny at Princeton.EDU>, "Jason W. Fleischer" <jasonf at Princeton.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:34:53 AM
Subject: REMINDER:  thesis/independent work support, spring 2011

[Please note that the deadline is coming up for applications for top-up support for ongoing senior thesis projects and for support for junior and senior independent work this term.    Please see pitch below.    I will accept applications until 5 PM on Monday, February 21.   Make sure they have your adviser’s signature and that you sign the waiver form.    –Dean Bogucki] 



I am writing to announce the availability of funds from the School of Engineering and Applied Science to support spring-term junior and senior independent work as well as to provide supplemental funds for unexpected expenses encountered in ongoing senior thesis research .  An application form is attached in PDF format with fill-out fields into which you can type and save information about your project and the amount you need before printing it out to sign and to take to your adviser for endorsement.  If you have a problem filling in the fields, just print out the form and fill it in by hand.   Fields outlined in red are required (basically, all of them). 


These funds are for the following purposes: 

(1) spring term senior independent work projects 

(2) spring term junior independent work projects 

(3) senior thesis research in progress; if you received funding in the October funding round, please indicate clearly why additional support is needed to advance your work this spring. 


These funds are normally restricted to consumable supplies, software, small equipment and parts, and travel for field experiments.   They do not generally cover books and journals, food, copying and thesis preparation costs, or capital equipment.    These funds are only to be used for projects that are being taken for formal independent work or thesis credit during the spring term .    You need to be enrolled for independent work (e.g. ELE/COS 398, 498, MAE 339/340, etc.) or a thesis (e.g. CEE/ORF 478, CHE 454, MAE 440, etc.) to be eligible for funding under this program.   If you are doing a project jointly with another student (e.g. in MAE, ELE), please submit a single application form with both names on it.    Please do not use this form to request funding for extracurricular engineering projects.    These grants normally do not exceed $600.    Students needing more should consult with their adviser to determine the availability of alternate resources.    Requests in excess of this amount will be considered, but there is no guarantee that large requests can be met.    All awards are contingent on the availability of funds, and we reserve the right to reduce the amount awarded when we distribute the funds to the departments.    Please do not inflate your request in anticipation of having the award be pared back.  This is not helpful in allocating the funds.   Just make an accurate assessment of your needs. 


Please note that if you are using any part of this support for research travel, you MUST comply with the University policies on undergraduate travel, as shown at http://www.princeton.edu/travel/policies/ , and you must register your travel on the Travel Registration database. 


Please return the completed form (on paper, with your thesis/IW adviser's signed endorsement and your two-page proposal and waiver of liability form) to my office (C-205) no later than Friday, February 18 .   If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at bogucki at princeton.edu . 


An application form for this funding with waiver of liability is attached to this e-mail.    Please complete the form, save it, print it, sign the application and the waiver, have your adviser sign the application, and attach the supporting material.    Applications require the signature of your adviser! 


Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.   --Dean Bogucki 


Peter Bogucki 

Associate Dean for Undergraduate Affairs 

School of Engineering and Applied Science, Princeton University, 

C-207 Engineering Quad, Princeton NJ 08544 

tel: 609-258-4554 fax: 609-258-3996 


[FOR APPOINTMENTS, please call 8-4554] 

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: thesis_funding_application.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 45203 bytes
Desc: thesis_funding_application.pdf
URL: <http://lists.cs.princeton.edu/pipermail/iw/attachments/20110216/0c5e0adf/attachment-0001.pdf>

More information about the iw mailing list