[iw] Funding for Independent Work

Colleen E. Kenny-McGinley ckenny at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Feb 10 08:50:11 EST 2012

If you are looking for funding for your independent work, here is the form! 

The deadline for submission is Feb. 15, 2012. 


----- Original Message -----

From: "Peter I. Bogucki" <bogucki at Princeton.EDU> 
To: "BSE Class of 2012 (bse-seniors at princeton.edu)" <bse-seniors at Princeton.EDU>, "BSE Class of 2013 (bse-juniors at princeton.edu)" <bse-juniors at Princeton.EDU> 
Cc: "Alain L Kornhauser" <alaink at Princeton.EDU>, "Antoine Kahn" <kahn at ee.princeton.edu>, "Bruce E. Koel" <bkoel at Princeton.EDU>, "Catherine Peters" <cap at Princeton.EDU>, "David Walker" <dpw at CS.Princeton.EDU>, "Mike Littman" <mlittman at Princeton.EDU>, "Colleen E. Kenny-McGinley" <ckenny at Princeton.EDU>, "Cynthia L. Menkes" <cmenkes at Princeton.EDU>, "Jennifer L. Poacelli" <poacelli at Princeton.EDU>, "Jo Ann Love" <jolove at Princeton.EDU>, "Julie L. Gerek-Sefa" <jsefa at Princeton.EDU>, "Kimberly I. Lupinacci" <klupinac at Princeton.EDU>, "Minmin Fan" <minminf at Princeton.EDU>, "Tara M. Zigler" <tzigler at Princeton.EDU> 
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:53:12 PM 
Subject: thesis/independent work support, spring 2012 

I am writing to announce the availability of funds from the School of Engineering and Applied Science to support spring-term junior and senior independent work as well as to provide supplemental funds for unexpected expenses encountered in ongoing senior thesis research .  An application form is attached in PDF format with fill-out fields into which you can type and save information about your project and the amount you need before printing it out to sign and to take to your adviser for endorsement.  If you have a problem filling in the fields, just print out the form and fill it in by hand, but I know it works because I tested it.   Fields outlined in red are required (basically, all of them). 
These funds are for the following purposes: 
(1) spring term senior independent work projects 
(2) spring term junior independent work projects 
(3) senior thesis research in progress; if you received funding in the October funding round, please indicate clearly why additional support is needed to advance your work this spring. 
These funds are normally restricted to consumable supplies, software, small equipment and parts, and travel for field experiments.   They do not generally cover books and journals, food, copying and thesis preparation costs, or capital equipment.    These funds are only to be used for projects that are being taken for formal independent work or thesis credit during the spring term .    You need to be enrolled for independent work (e.g. ELE/COS 398, 498, MAE 339/340, etc.) or a thesis (e.g. CEE/ORF 478, CHE 454, MAE 440, etc.) to be eligible for funding under this program.   If you are doing a project jointly with another student (e.g. in MAE, ELE), please submit a single application form with both names on it.    Please do not use this form to request funding for extracurricular engineering projects.    These grants normally do not exceed $600.    Students needing more should consult with their adviser to determine the availability of alternate resources.    Requests in excess of this amount will be considered, but there is no guarantee that exorbitant requests can be met.    All awards are contingent on the availability of funds, and we reserve the right to reduce the amount awarded when we distribute the funds to the departments.    Please do not inflate your request in anticipation of having the award be pared back.  This is not helpful in allocating the funds.   Just make an accurate assessment of your needs and we will try to meet them. 
Please note that if you are using any part of this support for research travel, you MUST comply with the University policies on undergraduate travel, as shown at http://www.princeton.edu/travel/policies/ , and you must register your travel on the Travel Registration database. 
Please return the completed form (on paper, with your thesis/IW adviser's signed endorsement and your two-page proposal and waiver of liability form) to my office (C-209, despite the fact that the form says 205) no later than Wednesday, February 15 .   If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at bogucki at princeton.edu . 
An application form for this funding with waiver of liability is attached to this e-mail.    Please complete the form, save it, print it, sign the application and the waiver, have your adviser sign the application, and attach the supporting material.    Applications require the signature of your adviser! 
Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.   --Dean Bogucki 
Peter Bogucki 
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Affairs 
School of Engineering and Applied Science, Princeton University, 
C-207 Engineering Quad, Princeton NJ 08544 
tel: 609-258-4554 fax: 609-258-3996 
[FOR APPOINTMENTS, please call 8-4554] 


Colleen Kenny-McGinley 
Undergraduate Coordinator 
Dept. of Computer Science 
ckenny at princeton.edu 
(609) 258-1746 
(609) 258-1771 (Fax) 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.cs.princeton.edu/pipermail/iw/attachments/20120210/16539a66/attachment.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: thesis_funding_application_2011-13.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 48010 bytes
Desc: thesis_funding_application_2011-13.pdf
URL: <http://lists.cs.princeton.edu/pipermail/iw/attachments/20120210/16539a66/attachment-0001.pdf>

More information about the iw mailing list