[iw] Fwd: Senior thesis and independent work funding fall 2012

Colleen E. Kenny-McGinley ckenny at CS.Princeton.EDU
Thu Oct 4 13:08:10 EDT 2012

From:   Peter I. Bogucki
Sent:   Monday, October 01, 2012 10:10 AM
To:   BSE Class of 2013 ( bse-seniors at princeton.edu ); BSE Class of 2014 ( bse-juniors at princeton.edu )
Cc:   Traci L. Miller
Subject:   Senior thesis and independent work funding fall 2012

Seniors and juniors in the School of Engineering and Applied Science may apply for support for senior thesis and junior or senior independent work research from endowed funds administered by the SEAS Dean's Office.  An application form is attached in PDF format with fill-out fields into which you can type and save information about your project and the amount you need before printing it out to sign and to take to your adviser for his/her signature.  If you have a problem filling in the fields, just print out the form and fill it in by hand.   Make sure you also submit a two-page proposal (project description) + detailed budget and waiver of liability form that is part of the application.

These funds are normally restricted to consumable supplies, software, small equipment and parts, and travel for field experiments.   They do not generally cover books and journals, food, copying and thesis preparation costs, or capital equipment.    These funds are only to be used for projects that are being taken for formal independent work or thesis credit. If you are doing a project jointly with another student (e.g. in MAE, ELE), please submit a single application form with both names on it.    Please do not use this form to request funding for extracurricular engineering projects.    Although it says that these grants normally do not exceed $600 per student, please provide your full realistic budget, and we will do our best to accommodate it.    Requests in excess of this amount will be considered and we will try to meet them, but there is no guarantee that enormous requests can be met.    Students needing very much more should consult with their adviser to determine the availability of alternate resources.   All awards are contingent on the availability of funds, and we reserve the right to reduce the amount awarded when we distribute the funds to the departments.

Please note that if you are using any part of this support for travel, you MUST comply with the University policies on undergraduate travel, as shown at   http://www.princeton.edu/travel/policies/   and you must register your travel on the Travel Registration database.

Please return the completed form (on paper, with your thesis/IW adviser's signed endorsement and your two-page proposal, and the waiver of liability form) to the Undergraduate Affairs Office in C-209 E-Quad) no later than Monday, October 15.   If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at   bogucki at princeton.edu .

--Dean Bogucki

Peter Bogucki
Associate Dean for Undergraduate Affairs School of Engineering and Applied Science, Princeton University,
C-207 Engineering Quad, Princeton NJ 08544
tel: 609-258-4554 fax: 609-258-3996
http://www.princeton.edu/~bogucki

--

Colleen Kenny-McGinley