[iw] a few words about the posters

Vivek Pai vivek at CS.Princeton.EDU
Sat Dec 14 08:59:06 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

If you're doing a 1-semester IW, you're about to hit two
deadlines - the submission of the written paper, and
also the poster presentation. Most people seem to have
done enough papers that they know what's good and what
to avoid. However, a lot of people have never done a poster
or seen a poster session, or they assume that the poster
session doesn't have anything to do with the grading. I'm
writing to provide some pointers to hopefully avoid any
problems.

There's a fair amount of info here:
http://iw.cs.princeton.edu/13-14/#Poster_Session
Please read it. I'd like to draw out some really salient bits:

The space you have for your poster is 4 feet by 4 feet.
There's nothing saying that you have to fill it all, especially
since most plotters seem to max out at 3 feet wide. However,
at the same time, it would be a bad idea to leave the vast
majority of that space blank. See the space as an opportunity
to present your work in the best possible light.

To that end, please put some real content on the posters.
These aren't promotional banners to draw people in with
the expectation that your words are the real content. The
poster should have enough content that someone can form
a reasonable opinion of your work without necessarily talking
with you.

Use things like size to separate high-level takeaways from
details. Don't view the poster as a report, but rather as a
way of presenting multiple levels of information. In general,
put more important stuff higher up (at eye level), and details
lower down.

Have a good break, and I look forward to seeing your work
in January!

VP