IXP1200 programming

Paige, Dale W dale.w.paige at intel.com
Sat Jun 17 16:24:49 EDT 2000

Peter -

Intel is porting the NetBoost programming interface, called the IX API, to
the IXP1200.  This is not yet available, the developers release is due out
in the fourth quarter of this year.  This interface includes C++ classes.

Full featured StrongArm(TM) C/C++ compilers are provided by ARM Ltd and
through the FSF.  Cygnus provides additional support for the GNU compiler.

We do not have compiler which creates code for the uEngines.

Since you have functional C code that runs on a particular Microprocessor I
suggest that you port the functionality to the IXP1200 StrongARM core
initially choosing the minimum subset of functionality that handles the
reception and transmission of network data for implementation onto the
uEngines.  Once the application is running you can then use performance
analysis to determine which elements of the application should be ported to
run on the uEngines.

In short, port the C based application to the IXP1200 using a core centric
perspective, remembering that the uEngines must ultimately host the time
critical application code.

I hope this helps you get started.

  Best Regards  -  Dale Paige