IXP1200 Board as a Peripheral

Scott C. Karlin scott at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon May 8 10:31:44 EDT 2000

At some point soon, we would like to move the IXP1200 board
from the passive PCI backplane to a traditional Pentium
motherboard.  I am starting this thread so that we can get
a feel for the issues involved.  It seems that there are
several hurdles we must clear before doing this:

1. The PCI arbiter function must be disabled on the board.
   * Supported by J13 (CFN1)

2. The PCI reset function must be disabled on the board.
   * Supported by J14 (CFN0)

3. The board must be configured so that generates interrupts
   rather than receives them.
   * (Partially?) Supported by J10, J11, J17, and J9.

4. There must be a way to get the application code into the
   board.
   * One way would be to have the board boot up in a
     passive mode (selected by an unused combination of the
     GPIO[3:0] jumper settings) where the StrongARM waits
     for code to be written from the PCI bus by the host.
     On some signal from the host, the boot code would jump
     to a well-known address to run the downloaded code.

Is this list complete?  I know the engineers at Intel have
been thinking about the problem because they wanted to do
exactly this for the sessions at the Intel Developer Forum
in Palm Springs.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Comments?

-Scott