[ixp1200] Cost of developping with KEIXP12EBAB

Brandewie, Dirk J dirk.j.brandewie at intel.com
Wed Dec 12 12:32:12 EST 2001

Hi Loren,

> Will the KEIXP12EBAB kits (which I am told include C0 Silicon) run ARM
> Linux out of the box? (The SDK 2.0 documentation centers around the
> development platform with the WinNT SBC, but states that you
> dont need to
> use the WinNT SBC, if you have your own workstation. This
> seems to imply
> that I should not have any trouble loading Linux on the evaluation kit
> too, so long as I have a WinNT workstation.)

The KEIXP12EBAB kits will run Linux out of the box you can find the
distribution
at ftp://ftp.netwinder.org/users/u/urnaik/.

Be aware that SDK 2.0 does not support KEIXP12EBAB.  All the tools may be
used to develop code but the micro-ace infrastructure will not run.

> Does anyone know how much Intel wants for the Microengine C Compiler?

We are in the process of arranging special education pricing but don't
have a final answer yet stay tuned.

> What other tools are required that I don't know about?

Not a required tool but another environment that runs on the eval system is
available at http://www.cs.princeton.edu/nsg/vera/

> Can you develop on the evaluation kit using only free software tools?

Yes you can do all your development with the tools from the SDK and the
GCC that is part of the Linux distribution.

--Dirk