[ixp1200] questions on using the IXP1200 in a PC.

Joon jsong at cs.ubc.ca
Mon Nov 19 18:29:46 EST 2001

Hi All,

I'm new to this list and would like to find out a little more about the
IXP 1200. I apologize if some of these questions have been asked before.

I understand that it is possible to plug the eval board into the 33-MHz
32-bit PCI slot of a standard PC (after some jumper and firmware
changes).

1. Can the host PC access the SDRAM, SRAM, registers, etc on the IXP
   1200? Is using the IXP1200 in the PCI slot of a PC a supported mode of
   operation in the first place?

2. Can the StrongArm initiate a DMA transfer directly between its SDRAM
   and PC host memory? Any idea what is the rough performance is?

3. Can the StrongArm generate interrupts to the host PC over the PCI bus?

4. Can we really expand the SDRAM memory on the IXP1200 to 256MB as listed
   in the specs?

Thanks very much!

joon