[ixp1200] Booting intel ixp boards from tftp

Haiyong Xie yong at cs.ucr.edu
Tue Apr 16 19:08:07 EDT 2002

ENP2505 board by Radisys is different from IXP Evaluation board in many
aspects.

First, ENP2505 does not have an embedded 82559 or 82559ER MAC,
which is used in IXP Evaluation system as a network interface to boot or
download programs from the TFTP or NFS server. This is the reason why you
can not boot the board with the TFTP server since ENP2505 does not have
such network interfaces. The four RJ45 ethernet ports are not used for
this purpose.

Boot manager is working. You can stop the board running Cygmon
automatically when you reboot the system. I am sure if system monitor is
working or not. Cygmon is modified to download the embedded operating
system kernel through the PCI bus. This is how cygmon is used to do.

There is no hardware reset switch on the board, so you can not reset the
board. However, you can 'reboot' the board using software utilities
provided by boot manager and cygmon. For instance, cygmon has a command
named 'go', you can use this command to start executing the
specified program from a specific address, like 'go c4000800'. In fact,
after cygmon knows the embedded Linux kernel has been downloaded to the
on-board RAM, it issues a 'go c4000800' command to start the kernel.

Hope the above information is helpful to you.

Haiyong Xie

359 Surge Building
UCR CA 92521
(909)787-2001