[ixp1200] IXA SDK Bug

Francis francis at francischang.com
Mon Aug 12 10:58:52 EDT 2002

There seems to be a bug in the uEngine C Compiler, when run in unoptimized
mode. I was wondering if anyone's seen this behaviour before, and if they
can suggest work-arounds.

One of the sample IXA applications (single-threaded-packet counter) I'm
looking at exhibits this bug. It works on the "optimize for speed" settings,
but when I put it into the non-optimized mode, it generates questionable
micro-engine assembly output.

The compiler seems to want to use GPR a0 to store both a pointer into
scratch memory, as well as function return address. Predictably, this causes
problems :)

This behaviour is consistent in the Intel IXA Software Developers Kit for
IXP1200, versions 2.0, 2.01 and 2.01a.

--
Francis