[ixp1200] Re: Plugging ixp into Pentium's backplane

Scott C. Karlin scott at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jan 4 08:25:47 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 06:18:59PM +0800, Tan Chee Wei wrote:

> Currently, I have successfully compiled all Vera's codes,
> changed the Intel's firmware to a Princeton's firmware and
> reset the jumpers' setting according to README.jumpers.txt.
> But I encountered problems when I removed the ixp board
> from its factory chassis and plugged it into a Pentium
> machine.  I tried out the same ixp board on 3 different
> Pentiums, two P2 and one P4.  The common problem is, the
> Pentium cannot boot up.  Nothing appears on the monitor,
> not even BIOS messages.  Judging from the initial "noise"
> from the CPU, the Pentium did go into initial BIOS mode of
> memory test but after that it simply stopped.  All the ixp
> board's LEDs flashed once upon power up and the LED
> indicators showed '1' and '6'.  What does '1' and '6' mean?

I wasn't sure until I checked the source code for the firmware.
If you look at $VERAROOT/Runtime/ixp1200/sa/src/Firmware/start.c
and search for "led(0x16)" you will see where the LEDs are set
to '1' and '6'.  The test against bit 2 of IXP1200_GPIO_DATA
is a check on jumper J27.  The README.jumpers.txt says to set
J27 to 2-3.  Is J27 set correctly?

If J27 is set to 1-2, the board enters minimon *before*
initializing the PCI bus.  The BIOS will hang because the
IXP1200 is not responding to the BIOS query.  You can verify
this by checking the serial port output from the ixp1200 board.

The README.jumpers.txt is incorrect when it states that GPIO[2]
is a don't care ("X") for the firmware.  I will fix the file.

Scott