[ixp1200] Re: Plugging ixp into Pentium's backplane

Scott C. Karlin scott at CS.Princeton.EDU
Tue Jan 8 08:10:03 EST 2002

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 12:12:29AM +0800, Tan Chee Wei wrote:

> > The test against bit 2 of IXP1200_GPIO_DATA
> > is a check on jumper J27.  The README.jumpers.txt says to set
> > J27 to 2-3.  Is J27 set correctly?
>
> Yes, J27 is set correctly.  In fact, there isn't any need to change
> J27 since the factory's setting is similar to Vera's setting.
> But I used the ixp board without using the serial cable connected because
> I was concerned whether Pentium will get booted up or not. In that case,
> I guess, it is a must to connect up the serial port of the ixp board.

At this point I cannot think of another (simple) explanation as to why
you would see "16" on the leds without GPIO bit 2 (0x4) being set.

There is no requirement that the serial port of the IXP1200 board
be connected.  However, as you can see, it's more useful to connect
it to a different machine so that you can see the output messages even
if the host Pentium doesn't boot for some reason.

> > If J27 is set to 1-2, the board enters minimon *before*
> > initializing the PCI bus.  The BIOS will hang because the
> > IXP1200 is not responding to the BIOS query.  You can verify
> > this by checking the serial port output from the ixp1200 board.
>
> Can I confirm that the mini-monitor in $VERAROOT/Runtime/ixp1200/sa/src/Lib/
> will work with both Window's Hyperterminal as well as linux minimon?

Minimon uses no special control codes and will work with any RS-232
terminal or terminal emulator set to 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop
bit, no parity.

Scott