[ixp1200] Errors during installation

Vishal Anand vanand1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 9 22:36:41 EST 2002

>gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
>
>Somehow you have the string "export" in one of your environment
>variables.  What are the values of the environment variables
>XCCROOT and VERAROOT?  They should look something like this:
>
>[scott at vera i386]$ echo $XCCROOT
>/usr/xcc
>[scott at vera i386]$ echo $VERAROOT
>/home/scott/Vera

You were right, there was a missing quote in the .bashrc file which caused
an extra "export" to appear in the env. var's.

Now however I am getting the following error when doing a install in the
"Runtime/linux-i386/driver" directory

[vanand at localhost driver]$ make install
kgcc -I.  -I/usr/src/linux/include -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DIXP1200_SUPPORT
-O -Wall
-c drvVera.c -o drvVera.o
In file included from /usr/include/linux/module.h:21,
                 from drvVera.c:59:
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1: #error Modules should never use
kernel-headers system headers,
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2: #error but headers from an appropriate
kernel-source
In file included from drvVera.c:70:
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1: #error Modules should never use
kernel-headers system headers,
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2: #error but headers from an appropriate
kernel-source
make: *** [drvVera.o] Error 1

The relevant lines in the /usr/include/linux/module.h file (starting from
line #14) are

#ifdef __GENKSYMS__
#  define _set_ver(sym) sym
#  undef  MODVERSIONS
#  define MODVERSIONS
#else /* ! __GENKSYMS__ */
# if !defined(MODVERSIONS) && defined(EXPORT_SYMTAB)
#   define _set_ver(sym) sym
#   include <linux/modversions.h>
# endif
#endif /* __GENKSYMS__ */