[ixp1200] Problem of linux on ixp1200

Tan Chee-Wei eng80386 at nus.edu.sg
Fri Jul 19 03:00:18 EDT 2002

Hi Fei Chen,

> but I didn't find any document telling me what kind of linux can be used
on ixp1200, how to run strongArm and microengine
>code on the ethernet evaluation board. Can anyone help me with this?

Vera does not use a RTOS such as Bluecat Linux. It uses a mini-kernel that
acts as a bridge between an external processor such as a Pentium and the
micoengines, similar to something described in section 2.7.1 in Intel
Hardware Reference Manual, Dec 2001, Page 31. There is a need to erase the
Intel firmware first before using Vera. StrongARM and Microengine codes are
compiled into Motorola Hex Format files on Pentium and are then downloaded
via the PCI bus onto IXP1200. Princeton also provide the necessary
toolchains to compile StrongARM and microengine codes so there is no need to
use the Developer Workbench to download the microengine codes as Micro
Object files onto IXP1200.

regards,
cheewei